FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:33 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by othermike27
I believe you also have/had the AFCU Globetrek card, so I'll ask: how would you compare dealing with this credit union so far versus your experience with AFCU?

I have one more international trip on which I can use my old-style USAA MC if a PIN is needed, then it will be replaced with the new-style card with a signature-first CVM list early next year. So, I'll be looking at options from just staying with the USAA card and putting up with the occasional headaches, to finding a replacement PIN-first card. But I really don't feel like dealing with the hassles of an out-of-date back office process like AFCU has (although it's supposed to be much improved, according to experience reports from earlier this year). Thanks.

When I went through the hassle of getting the Andrews card I was under the illusion it was a "true" chip and pin card but it turned out to be a chip and signature first card and quite frankly I've hardly used it. Therefore I've really had no dealing with them but I will continue to occasionally use the card to keep it active. The same btw with State Department FCU. Now I also have Pen FCU but that was not obtained for the emv chip; when I got it the reason was the 5% rebate on all gasoline purchase. After I obtained the card, it went emv but I still use it for all my gasoline purchases.

Quite frankly, at present, the only card I use for foreign travel is my grandfathered B of A cash rewards card with no ftf where I get 1% on everything and it does have online pin as a cvm and maybe, just maybe, visa is serious about requiring all merchants and kiosks to accept any emv card which will make the whole thing pretty much moot. But I'm not holding my breath.

So as a long winded answer, I have had next to no interaction with Andrews since I got the card. The arrival card from Barclay if and when they ever keep their promise to make the no annual fee card emv is probably the best bet and they had projised third quarter 2014 which is now almost up and still no sign of keepinhg their word.