FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Executive [Late 2014 - 2015]
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:17 pm
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ninim2200
did your approval letter state any bonus?
I thought I had shredded that because of the pin code I didn't intend to use. But no, I just found it. And I quote from halfway down the first page in large print:

"Make the most of your card
Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership."

Hooray, no mention of having had the card before. But then there is an * and my hopes went down again. I looked that up in the small print on the other side:

"(AA) miles are earned on purchases, except returned goods..(etc.) Only the primary cardholder is eligible to earn miles."

So far so good, but then here is the kicker:

"(AA) miles will appear as a bonus in your (AA) account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements."

Was that in the T/C before? Because 8 to 10 weeks is a lot longer than 37 days. And although not everyone, most people have the AF post on the first billing statement. So it seems to get the miles, we will probably have to pay the AF, which we had NOT intended to do. And even then hope the 18 month language, that appears on the online app, but is not anywhere in the approval letter, won't take effect.

To add to the mystery, I have no way of knowing if the 18 month language was in that link when we applied. We applied Sept 6th, I was instantly approved online, and my wife was quickly approved at Recon that day. My approval letter is dated Sept 9th.

It's entirely possible the "18 months" was added to the link sometime after our apps, and doesn't apply to us at all. But may very well apply to those who use the rewritten link now.