FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA - The 2014 thread
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:53 am
HilFly

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by flolee
I think i had a DYKWIA moment myself a few weeks ago... at least i tried to. but - to my defense - i must say, it was provoked by a crew member. and i failed misserably anyways

i was in first to beijing with only 5 other (before stranger) ppl in the cabin and we ended up having a little party and probably the most unusual flight ever (in a very positive way!).
the crew seemed a bit surprised about the party-atmosphere first, but they were absolutely superb, kept the food and mainly alcohol flowing and even joined us for a bit (well, only for the chatting-part, not the drinking of course ).

so, quite a few hours into the nightflight and a few glases of... well, different things, the other guy and me decided it would be most funny to go back and raid club kitchen. i fancied a twix. or mars. or both. of course, the CC offered to bring us anything we wanted and also suggested the green tea ice cream (which i thought must be the most disgusting thing on earth), but we wanted to see and go for ourselves.

well, no sooner said than done, off we were. as it was a low J 747, there was only WT+ dividing us from the heaven of club kitchen. so we tiptoed through the WT+ cabin - or so we thought. considering the mad looks we got from the (probably before sleeping) people in WT+, we must have been giggling like little asian girls seeing... well, me. not sure why i do get that reaction from asian girls, and it happens quite a lot. but that's an other story, i guess

anyway, finally arriving at club kitchen, there was... nothing. nothing, but a well stocked fridge. well stocked with green tea ice cream, that was. great, i though. my british fellow was already totally into the better-not-to-be-spoken-of ice cream, of which i'm sure only citizens of the homeland of british airways can think of creating (), but he could not open the fridge. as he never had been to club kitchen before, i told him to step back and let me show him how to professionally open a fridge door. which - of course - resulted in a miserable failing on my side, too.

that said, there had been (i guess) a WT+ crew member in the galley, who was already observing us suspiciously, giving us a mad look from time to time and had no intention at all to help us - which i thought was a bit strange. however, i decided we would be way to drunk to figure out how to open the door any time soon and - nevertheless the embarrassment and the obviously not very amused cc-member - it would probably be best to ask the crew member how to open the stupid thing.

me: "how do you open the fridge, it doesn't open".

cabin crew: "you are coming from that cabin!" pointing at the WT+ cabin. ah, that was the problem.

british fellow and myself in unison, in the same intimated and apologetic tone: "but we are in first".

cabin crew, looking at us from head to toe in disgust (as always when flying, i got out of my shirt pretty quickly and was just in a white, short armed undershirt) and not having any intention to open the fridge: "sure you are". he was surely rolling his eyes. at least internally.

me, as alcohol does not make me the most patient person, trying to sound as sober and as respectable as you can with 27 years: "yes we are, and i would really like some ice cream, now!"

cabin crew, not believing us one word: "yeah, whatever". he then moved some switch on the door, opened the fridge, thrust us each one ice cream in our hands (but no spoons), locked the door again and sent us off to the WT+ cabin.
i was shortly thinking about asking for some twix and mars, but considered that would probably not he best idea. at least i got an ice cream, too... yippie

so back in first - after getting some more mad looks from the people in WT+ - we guffawingly told our cabin crew what had happened and he insisted on going back telling the other guy that we really are in first, just in case we wanted to go back gettin some more ice cream (hell, no).

so even if it was a bit DYKWIA, it was problaby the funniest inflight-moment i had. probably even the funniest flight i had. and i paid for it by eating the ice cream, which tasted about as disgusting as it sounded. there is reason green tea is served as tea and not as ice cream. the same goes for tiramisu, by the way.
I don't see anything funny about this escapade. Quite the opposite.