FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:07 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artsy1
I closed out my AAdvantage Amex and Visa cards over a year ago, (and I'm definitely past 18 months from the original approvals), but I still see both cards listed as closed accounts when I log in to review charges on another Citibank card (non-AA) I still have open. Does anyone know if I need to "unlink" these cards from my user ID before applying for a new AAdvantage card to try to get the bonus again? It's unclear to me if the fact that these closed accounts show in my online profile will have any impact on whether or not Citi gives me a bonus again.

Also, can someone confirm that the 12 - 26 month guideline for churning is from the date the card was OPENED and not the date it was closed? I read this in a few places, but would appreciate some reassurance since I'm well past the two year mark from original approval but not closure of the personal cards.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, artsy1.

Second question first: Yes, it's also explained in the Wikpost at the top of this page. Citi doesn't care about when you closed or even whether you closed, it only cares about how long it's been since the previous most recent account was opened.

And once you know that, that would make your first question irrelevant (since it only has to with closing).