FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:36 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rstruthe
If I pay the airline to fly A-B-C, but only fly A-B, I've still paid for the B-C segment. I've also let them fly that segment with less fuel consumption due to lower weight. Really I don't care what price they've evaluated that segment at, if I pay for it and choose not to use it, I've still paid for it.
For me its like buying a combo at McDonalds, its often cheaper to get a Big Mac combo, then to buy a Big Mac, Fries, and a Drink seperately. Therefore I will take the combo and throw out the fries. I still paid for the fries, so McDonalds can't punish me for throwing them in the garbage.
Its not my fault McDonalds chooses to the give me a discount for taking the fries over not taking them.
You're mixing up a good with a service. When you buy the combo, you own the fries and can do with them as you see fit. When you buy the A-B-C ticket, you never own anything. You've purchased transportation from A to C, nothing else. It's the prerogative of the service provider to set he price, and yours whether to accept it or not. The airline, as I've said above, is free to fly you to C directly. What would you say then?