FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:29 pm
Johnny Rocket

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Another one of Peru's superb properties.

The hotel really does live up to it's name in that it is a Palacio. Everything about it is indeed palatial and the place oozes luxury.

Check-in is so very very polite in this country and instead of standing at a desk, you are encouraged to sit down and someone will come over to greet you personally. It's all very different to the US & European way of doing things... but they really want you to slow down and relax. Sometimes that can be hard to do - even on a vacation!

The room was on the small side even with an SNA upgrade, that said, it was still very very comfortable and we even had a small terrace where you could look out of the rooftops of Cuzco and the surrounding mountains. All very very picturesque.

The spa downstairs is very inviting. I put my head around the door to find that they had a special offer - 2 for 1. To be honest, I would just say that it's really 2 for 2 at a more 'reasonable' rate - and they really do have a lovely set of pools and a hot tub, so it was worth the expense.

In the evening a Jazz trio play in the bar. You feel like you're the guests at an old enchanted castle. It is truly charming.

Walk a little further you come to the restaurant where they have a wine and cheese stand... and then the restaurant looks stunning. Again, it is as though it were part of a castle, or Palacio. Apparently it used to be a monastery! Well, all I can say is that the monks missed out because it really is a delightful place to stay while in Cuzco and a decent location just a short walk from the main square Plaza d'Armes.

There were no real issues here apart from as I was leaving the hotel I asked the doorman if he could get me a taxi (it was about 6am) he said, "have you ordered one?" I said, "no I haven't - cant you just get one off the street?"

The guy literally just stood there gawping at me - and he actually made me panic thinking that I would have to wait 12-15 minutes for him to book a cab for me.

I marched out through the front doors with the luggage and one on the street pulled up as I was heading out. Perfect timing, but a pathetic performance from the front door staff. I don't know if he was tired or had just woken up, but it was a weird and sad way to leave!