FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No luck with GUC..(sigh)
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:22 pm
baccarat_king

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
I was all excited to get this benefit and of course the first time I try to use it; even with careful planning on my part..it doesn't work. I'm just done with it.
Yes, but the nice thing about GUCs is that you haven't bought up to a higher fare class. So worst case, you wind up with your Economy Comfort seat at the best available price (at time of booking). Unlike the "old" SWU M+ fare game.

I "think" if you limit the usage of a GUC to one specific trip, you will just create unneeded stress. You have look at it like you have the opportunity for 4 upgrades international (from lowest fare) within 12 months.

But, as has been mentioned, the Air France strike has created an incredible strain on the system. I was hoping to upgrade last night AMS-JFK, but knew there would be no shot earlier in the week when I checked ExpertFlyer. Flight went out last night with 4 or 6 (I lost track) people being denied boarding during to an oversell of a 747. Luckily, I'm on a Z fare, already in BusinessElite for my return DTW-AMS on Tuesday.

FWIW, I think Delta is relatively fair with regard to upgrade instruments; and I've had very good success. Perhaps, it's just AMS-BOS and BOS-AMS. I also have to give Delta a lot of credit, they recently "royally screwed up" a reservation for October and a supervisor contacted revenue management and requested they release 2 seats in "O" inventory; to clear our upgrades for the return BOS-AMS. So, it's not all evil Delta. I've been very impressed by them taking accountability for their mishaps over the past week.

I still am a firm believer that the 4 GUCs provide a very good value, in the big picture.