FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Fairfax (Fair Lakes) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:26 am
DErg

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seaduck79
As one who stays fairly regularly (100+ nights this year) at this facility, I would like to make the FT community aware of some changes.

First, the staff has had some turnover. This was predicated by a change in senior management, and from what I have seen, the effect seems to be a positive one in terms of customer service. For instance, they no longer even pretend to say they're going to charge me to have a mini-fridge in my room. Things seem to run a bit more efficiently, some maintenance issues were dealt with, and things just seem, for lack of a better word, "tighter". And for a AAA rate of $110~/nt, it's a pretty decent deal. There is even talk of a new menu in the restaurant, though I haven't seen it yet.

One thing to be aware of, though. The Suites here are just basically a 50% larger room at the end of each floor. It has a nice, panoramic view, but there are lots nicer suites at other facilities. And it seems that the new management has a significant number of the suites occupied by what appears to be his extended family, whom I have seen and heard regularly in and around those rooms and have seen interacting with him on more than one stay. I don't have any problem with the people themselves, it just tends to reduce availability of the suites. I've asked more than once to use my GP upgrades, and been told there weren't any.
Also important to note that the hotel being sold to another hotel group (still Hyatt branded) is what prompted the change in staff and management, family of a senior manager occupying the presidential suite for approx 6 months and the renovations at the property. Overall positive changes that I have seen here.