FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sleezy Avis business practices
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:12 pm
Critic

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I rented a convertible from Avis for two days (at Orlando airport) at a special pre-reserved web rate of USD 120 all-in for two days. When I arrived at the counter at Orlando airport, an agent by the name of ***** pulled out an ipad and showed me the picture of a Camaro convertible. "Would this be fine?". I said it looks good, "so please sign on the dotted lines on the electronic display". Which I did. When I returned the car I was surprised that the total charges turned out to be more than USD 400!! Upon closer inspection I noticed that ***** had charged me an upgrade charge of USD 105 (!) per day, without saying a word about it!! So I returned to the Avis rental counter where ***** happened to be around. I asked him about the charges, and he said you signed the contract. I told him that he never mentioned a word about an extra charge for the car, on which he replied that I should have read the fine print on the screen. I told him that I expect him to tell me verbally about any upselling charges, to which he repeated his reply that I should have read the fine print. And smiled ...! What a crook.

Just for your background: I am renting rental cars around 60 times per year, and I regularly get allocated larger cars than I booked, without any charges; so the allocation of the Camaro - which i expected free-of-extra-charges since nothing was ever mentioned - did not come as a surprise to me. The webpage of Avis that I used (avis.de) does not even show more than one category of convertibles! The business behavior of ***** is appalling. I am surprised that a firm like Avis is employing crooks like this guy. I called the Avis customer service line, but the agent could not care less (also, "her system was down" so she could not provide me with a complaint number ...).

I always thought Avis was relatively trustworthy amongst rental car firms. Not anymore.

What do you think I should do?
You rent 60x per year and you don't at least have Avis Preferred status?