FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airtran Gift Certificates - Southwest not honoring?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:53 am
alchemista

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I was in the same situation. However, you don't want to call Southwest, you have to get in touch with AirTran. There was a message on AirTran's website - not sure if it's still there - that AirTran's gift certificates will not convert to Southwest LUV vouchers, so that's not an option.

People on here have reported that they were successful in having AirTran deposit credits in their A+ Rewards account that are transferable to Southwest and can then be used to book awards. I didn't get the same offer, however, when I spoke to an AirTran agent back in April, they told me any outstanding gift certificates would be refunded. And that's what they did with mine. I was told it can take up to 2 weeks.

My gift certificate was issued in January 2011 and the remaining balance was $220+ So, my advice to you is to get in touch with AirTran and ask them to get it refunded, now that it's known that AirTran's last flight is 3 months from now. You can easily let them know you don't plan on traveling in the next 3 months and would like to get a refund. Good Luck!
Thanks - do you recall the phone number or names of anyone you worked with (you can PM me if you'd rather not have it public)? I tried AirTran's main # before and they redirected me to Southwest's customer service #, which rep then said he talked to an AirTran manager in their office. He kept trying to point back to it being AirTran's issue - it's pretty poor to pass the buck between the companies when they purchased the company!

I actually would like a refund because Southwest is much more expensive than AirTran ever was so the gift certificates would probably only cover the extra cost of Southwest!

If there were more of these, this is the typical type of class action lawsuit material you see.

Thanks