FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:18 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econwatch
Was just informed by UA premier telephone agent that a specific application of the March 2015 MP plan changes will affect status achieved through codeshare flights. Not sure if true or not.

My LGA-YYZ UA website bookings for codeshare flights on AC metal will no longer count towards Premier status achieved by segment (flights are too short to achieve status per mileage). The revelation was that spend revenue has to go to UA meaning booking on UA and flying on UA metal. In other words codeshare revenue doesn't end up with UA but with AC therefore my UA bookings for AC metal flights will no longer count. The alternative would be to book and fly UA from EWR-YYZ, an undesirable workaround.

Have read through the threads, UAL website codeshare sections and UA 2015 Revenue based analysis available and can't see anything to corroborate this info.

Any insight on this?
Unless the agent knows of some new rule not announced publicly (The chance of which is probably much lower than a GMs chance of an op-up on a UA TATL/TPAC flight), this is absolutely not correct. Neither is the codeshare revenue nonsense, at least with AC, as AC and UA have a joint venture for transborder flights where they share revenue (though LGA-YYZ may be a carve out route not included - I think EWR is, but don't recall LGA being one).

My guess, and just a guess, is that there may have been a misinterpretation involving earning on a lower fare class. For AC-metal flights, if the fare you are booking through UA translates to a Tango fare on AC (AC classes S, T, L, A, K), then they earn only 25% PQM and zero segments (PQS). Is it possible this is what the agent meant?