FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westjet charges for first checked bag
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:12 pm
sokolov

Originally Posted by WestJet
There are no hidden fees but all of the regular taxes and fees will apply. We'd be happy to get you some answers. Do you still have the PNR?
In my case, when I tried to use the companion voucher for a trip to the US and back, there was a significant extra charge (about $75) that the Superagent was unable to explain. It was discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...-vouchers.html

(The apparent markup was $64, but since the fare was 99 and not 318, there should also have been about $11 savings in GST. 318-99*0.05=10.95 )

I do not have a PNR because I refused to book.

And that was a markup on the already higher fare of $318+tx&fees=$499 per person. If I had booked a single ticket, it would have been less than $499 because I could have taken the last seat in a cheaper fare bucket. I don't remember the exact price, but as I recall, two tickets (one fully paid, one with companion voucher) were about double the cost of a single, fully paid ticket. The difference was around $20. Woohoo!

While we are on the topic of unexplained charges: Whenever I spent my WestJet Dollars, HST/GST was assessed on the FULL price. Why is that? WestJet Dollars are not actual money, I never gave you that money, so why tax it?

Example for illustration: A ticket (without taxes and fees) costs $100. GST on that is $5. OK, so $105 altogether. Now I use 50 WestJet Dollars. This would mean a $50 payment plus 2.50 GST = $52.50. In reality, WestJet charges $55.

This doesn't make sense to me. Everywhere else, loyalty-discounts are tax-free.

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm