FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
One wonders what the 'real' aftermarket price for these tickets would be if the sponsors didn't artificially limit that market through their mandatory registration transfer process. Eliminating that process might help them find the free market price point they should be charging.
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.