FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:35 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Dr HFH, I don't think that's a very fair comparison.

It's a simple situation. People are being told to their face in a conversation that they have been given something "for free". They can either play along and say "thank you for giving me that for free", or they can say "Actually, you didn't give me anything for free".

I'm not sure why anyone would play along. It's not like disagreeing is a massive effort.
Well, it's not a massive effort or time sink until you say something and the FDC replies, "No, European Pete, we actually did give you an upgrade. Here, let me just print out your reservation so I can show you. I'm sorry, the printer jammed. Just give me a minute, here." Is this really how you want to spend your time? You're getting the room you reserved at the price you agreed to.

Why would anyone play along? I don't even know where to start. Just throwing some ideas out randomly, ... FDC wants to feel good about him/herself and think that s/he did you a favor, why not? The more people feel good about themselves, the happier they'll be and the less conflict we'll have in our every day lives. Maybe the FDC really thinks that you did get an upgrade. You're getting the room you reserved and wanted, anyway, so why go out of your way to point out someone's error to them when it doesn't affect your outcome at all? Just to put him/her down?

And what difference does it make whether FDC thinks (or wants you to think) that you got something extra free? You got what you expected and wanted at the price you expected to pay. From my perspective, I have no interest in starting an argument about this. If the FDC wants to think that s/he gave me an upgrade and feel good about it, who cares? Makes no difference to me and has no effect on which room I'm in. I'm not interested in spending any time on it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In your example, presumably the red and blue shirts sell for the same price and are otherwise identical.
Yes, I should have made that clear.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A better analogy would be a note that says that as a special favor to you, you have been given a special more expensive shirt made from gold thread but you will be charged the price for the blue shirt. However, you ordered and paid for the pricey gold shirt, so you were sent exactly what you purchased (with no discount involved).
Exactly. It is what it is. I don't care whether they call it an upgrade, a downgrade, a suite or a closet. A rose by any other name.... The room is the same. The price is the same.

Say I reserve the River Suite (and there's only one in this hotel). I get to the front desk on arrival and FDC says, "I'm so sorry, Dr., but the Presidential Suite is not available this weekend due to some unavoidable maintenance issues. I was, however, able to assign you to the River Suite, instead. It's lovely and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it."

I'm going to argue with him/her? To what end? I'm getting the same room at the same price. My response to this FDC is going to be, invariably and without hesitation, "That's very kind of you. Thank you." You never know when being nice to someone, even possibly when s/he doesn't deserve it, will come back and pay dividends.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Sep 16, 2014 at 9:42 am