FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:03 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by blueline7
Gosh, I am Canadian and never even heard of this place. Remarkable architecture and an interesting proprietor. This place may have one of the, if not the, highest room rates in all of Canada, I would think, which is remarkable for such a location. What was occupancy like while you were there, by the way. Many thanks for this review.
You don't read enough magazines . I've read about the place before - probably in a design/architecture magazine. And it was definitely in the AC flight magazine:

http://enroute.aircanada.com/canadas...go-island-inn/

Albeit on a "best new restaurants" list (I went to the #2 place on the list last year - Shoto - and thought it was a great addition to the Toronto dining scene) - and Fogo was #3 (the place has only been open a little more than a year).

The only thing I can't understand is why the place doesn't have AC. Yes - I'm sure that the AC season is very short in this part of the world (the closest I've ever been is the Gaspe Peninsula and there was still snow on the ground in April when I went there). Even non-existent some years (it is *usually* cool in the summer). Still - the place can have highs in excess of 80. Just like Miami Beach can have lows < 50 in the winter. And you'd expect to be able to turn on the heat in a luxury hotel there if that happened.

Guess I am (more than) once bitten - (more than twice) shy. When I traveled to get out of the Miami heat when I was younger - I stayed at some places that boasted they didn't have AC because they didn't need it. And - of course - the weeks I stayed would be the times these places had unusual or even record heat . FWIW - I am nowhere near as heat sensitive as someone like bhrubin (we keep our AC at 76 in the summer). But anything higher than 76 inside - I can't sleep.

Also - when it comes to places like this - unless one is a pretty cold hardy tourist whose idea of a good time in a fairly isolated area is sitting inside next to a fireplace watching the weather and reading a good book - this is a less than great non-summer vacation spot. Here we are - on 9/14 - and the weather report is pretty much cool/overcast/rainy:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/CAXX1461

I would also expect travel weather delays a fair amount of the year (rain/snow/ice/etc.). Robyn