FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:02 am
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
it would be nice to free up some excess credit when I apply for my next Citi card.
Assuming your card is not an EXEC, you can lower your credit line to $2K by SM, and that excess CL will become available for new apps in just a few weeks. Then if you need to call Recon, you can transfer the whole $2k to the new card and cancel the old one.

But if you lower most of your CLs with Citi to the required minimum you will be much more likely to get an instant approval. Then just cancel the card; it's only $2k, and it will bounce back in 3 or 6 months.

Just be aware once your AF on the old card posts, Citi will not let you transfer the CL and cancel it, because you "have unpaid charges". Even though the only charges on it are the AF, which isn't even due yet.

My two previous EXEC apps I had to call Recon, and they only gave me $5K each time. Then I lowered my CLs on all but one of my Citi cards to the req min, and my app for another EXEC last week got instant approval with a CL of $15,500K.