FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK may allow US security checks on passengers before transatlantic travel
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:18 am
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by binman
I recently entered via DFW and what a pleasant surprise it was. Automated systems ( which did not work ) and well manned and reasonable numbers immigration staff. Meanwhile JFK is simply vile and LAX horrific.
Mind you, arriving at LHR as a UK/EU natioNal can be pretty unpleasant. What is must be like for real foreigners I can't begin to imagine.
X2 on LAX and JFK. ORD and MIA are also miserable experiences. I'd much rather do pre-clearance through Canada.

Canada manages pre-clearance to the USA without some of the imagined horror stories related above. The fact is you are going to spend time going through CBP screening either before you fly or after and it is better in my experience to do it at home than when you arrive.

I don't arrive at the airport earlier because I'm going to the U.S. than any other international flight but I am not a Last Minute Larry who thinks it's cool to arrive at the gate just before the door closes.

As for LHR, as a non-EU resident it isn't that nasty. The longest I've waited was 53 minutes and I'd guess my typical wait is about 20 minutes.