FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL 9/11 stories?
View Single Post
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:34 pm
sethb
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sky303
I've always wondered how 9/11 went for all the road warriors. I was in second grade at the time, so I only recall watching CNN in the classroom (and watching the second plane hit), my dad picking me up early and watching CNN all day. Everyone was worried about my uncle, a Jersey City firefighter who was on duty that day. He ended up being fine, but mentally scarred. He had helped set-up triage centers and treat the wounded. I though myself lucky to have lost no one since most all of my family is from Jersey, and my dad flew basically weekly.
A friend of mine was a medic in New Jersey. He told me they brought him to an emergency center set up to treat the wounded, but there weren't any wounded.

The next couple of months were the only time that there was no shortage of donated blood.

I lived in NYC, but I was working in Boston that week. I was initially worried about whether I could get home (since they'd blocked off Manhattan completely); as it was, I took Amtrak a couple of days later, and then had to walk from Penn Station.

A friend of mine had his life saved by our then-favorite rock club: on the night of 9/10, the concert he went to ended around 3 AM, so he was late for work the next day.