FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The OMNI Exercise Blog...
View Single Post
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:47 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I did my half on Sunday. I finished in 2:38, which is about 20 minutes slower than my road time would have been, based on training times. It was a very challenging course, some steep ups and downs and some tricky single tracks. Fort Ord was lovely. The last two miles were nearly all uphill and it was getting warm and that was tough. I mostly walked all the steep uphills and ran all the flats and downhills, except those that were too steep. Very fun!
I don't know how I missed this (and I even posted after your post).

Congratulations! That sounds like a wild course. I remember running in the Monterey area while I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey, back in 1989-1990. Talk about fog and hills!

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I whined enough about crappy rental bicycles to get my father to get me a road bike. I got a 2015 Trek Lexa: it's lightweight, not fluorescent, and cost under $700. I'm doing a metric half-century in about a month, if I remember to sign up for it. I've already gone that far before; it's hard but incredibly doable. Eventually I want to ride 100 miles in a single day.
So a metric half century is 50km or somewhere around 32 miles? That doesn't sound bad at all, depending on hills of course

My longest ride ever was el Tour de Tucson, almost 2 years ago. 112 miles.

Originally Posted by annerj
I've been MIA from the forum for a while. Not sure why, just slipped off my radar.

This summer I did a lot less biking (just couldn't get focused/motivated for what has become the ultimate time suck.....getting helmet, shorts and clip shoes on, airing up the tires, fighting the wind (and cold this summer), etc). Instead I really did a TON of rowing.
I've hardly been in this forum either. Seems when I'm on FT, the AA forums have kept me rather busy lately

And I haven't ridden at all for I think 4-5 months. I still do spin at the gym twice a week, but mostly lost interest in riding outside. I figure I'll do it if/when the desire hits.

I've been doing much more swimming lately, usually 5-6x a week. Not necessarily longer, but hopefully better quality workouts with the team. Eventually I'd like to swim a 10k, to see how I like longer swims, and possibly expand on from there (who knows maybe even the Channel some day, if/when I have the money and time).

I have also been walking my dog quite a bit, about 10-11 miles a week. Maybe after the weather cools off a bit, we'll get back into that running thing.

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 11, 2014 at 3:54 pm