FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:04 pm
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Great thread, I hadn't seen it before.

My story on 9/11 isn't unique, but I felt like it writing it out today. I was just pulling into my office building complex outside Chicago when the news announcer on the radio said a small plane had crashed into the WTC. As I listened, he started screaming "Another plane just hit, this is not an accident, we're under attack!"

It was chilling. I walked into the office, where people had rigged the conference room TV's used for showing videos with antennas and were just standing in front of the TV watching, like zombies.

I called my parents pretty quickly, as my Dad was a frequent flyer at the time, not yet retired. My mom answered. Dad was indeed flying that day, but fortunately was leaving MCI. He was on the tarmac when they were called back and he had called my mom from the terminal to let her know he was fine and heading home.

The rest of the day is hazy. Years later, I had my first 9/11 flight...LGA-ORD. I was nervous until about half way through that flight.

My family was very fortunate. Every year I think of those who weren't. My hope, as it applies to this forum, is that we remember despite all the debates and arguments that happen here, that we're all in this together.