FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official schedule extension prediction thread
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:14 am
airb330

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rtalk25
WN doesn't directly competes on EWR-Florida except connections via BNA which is a little out of the way, especially to S. Florida. Out of PHL and BWI, B6 and UA do not directly compete

Out of PHL, it's competitive against US Air.

It usually adjusts pricing about a month or six weeks closer to the flight date.

I think a cold winter can push sales up on all nonstop and reasonable one-stop connection tickets (like NE-BWI-Florida) from all carriers to Florida. With a mild winter (more prevalent three years ago or so), pax easily change their ticket to another date, and Southwest can get screwed. I've flown on a PHL-FLL flight that was 25% full and wondered if it was because of the mild weekend when I flew out of PHL. Southwest didn't lower the ticket pricing the week around the trip either to help fill the plane as existing customers would just
For WN to charge $800 to Florida is insanity when US/AA starts at $300 from Philly. That is direct competition. From the DC area I could also take US/AA nonstop from around $300, WN is over $600-800 from BWI. That is also pretty direction competition.

I can also travel to NYC area and find nonstops for $275 on B9, or $400 on UA. I was stating in this general area (mid-atlantic) WN is outrageous. Yes, you are correct in the fact they do not directly compete as you stated I was just mentioning in this area people have multiple options of airports within a 90 minute drive. It used to be that WN would be the cheapest option, somewhere, whether PHL or BWI, but now that is extremely rare.

While I wish this was an isolated incident due to Spring Break, it seems anytime I need to travel to Florida, WN is significantly more than anyone else. I fear they are just going to pull out of PHL completely, they've shrank a lot as it is. They'll just have their fortress at BWI and continue to raise fares. I'm glad WN adjusts the rates 4-6 weeks out, but that's late for leisure travel. But hey if WN is filling planes at BWI and PHL with those rates, good for them. Let's hope for a mild winter for our own sakes and for cheaper airfare