FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:40 pm
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tmiw
Any idea if Apple Pay will work overseas assuming it's set up for a US Apple account? Google Wallet seems to have issues working overseas from a US phone.
Maybe not initially, but eventually I'd say we're heading into that direction. Apple iPhone 6 and Apple Watch is going on sale worldwide with those NFC capabilities.

If I were a Japanese Apple iPhone 6 and Apple Watch buyer and I've spent close to 30,000 + 40,000 yen on it respectively, I want to be able to use all the features for it, including Apple Pay.

I would want a Sumitomo Bank VISA card to be used on Apple Pay. Likely, Apple Japan is probably in talks with Subways, Starbucks, McDonalds, Staples, and Tokyo Disneyland within Japan too, as well as other Japanese retailers like UNIQLO.

If Apple Japan manages to convince JR, Tokyo Metro and the dozens of other private railways to be allow to use Apple Pay concurrently with Suica/PASMO, a feature that likely many Japanese iPhone users have wanted for eons (their older Japan-only model phones had that capability), that will be the icing of the cake.

And eventually, I'd want my Sumitomo VISA card that I have on Apple Pay to be accepted when I visit the US too.

May not happen overnight, but likely, hopefully, that's the direction we're heading to. Apple has that "we Apple loyalists have the same exact device whether we are Apple fans in the US, Canada, Japan, UK, Hong Kong or Australia" vibe to it that Android just doesn't have quite yet.

PS: I say that as a user of both iOS and Android devices.

Last edited by kebosabi; Sep 10, 2014 at 4:37 pm