FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:17 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Supposedly it's going to take a decade for all of the terminals to be replaced and it's mainly because of cost. I'm almost tempted to look into building a bare-bones one that only supports Ethernet and signature (with USB ports for a future PIN pad to satisfy Visa/MC requirements) and sell that. I imagine getting EMVco and card brand approval would be expensive though and doing this would set PIN back in this country years if not longer if it took off, but at this point it might be better just to get EMV in stores.

(I'd also be competing with Square and the other mPOS vendors, so I'm not sure such a barebones terminal would be much cheaper.)

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
The interesting thing I have noticed is that newer terminals may not have the clear signs they are enabled for contactless, as they were in the past. Case in point is Home Depot. The old terminals had the contactless reader attached to the top (as we have seen nearly everywhere contactless has been accepted), while such an attachment is absent from the new EMV capable machines. However, the screen on the new terminals displays the logos for PayPass and Discover's Zip (for the few who use the latter), which indicates there is probably a contactless reader somewhere on the terminal.
What Discover cards had Zip? I don't think I've ever seen one.