FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award ticket, but no seats left?
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:13 am
arollins

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by maddie5218
I've never run into this situation before so I'm kind of curious what's going to happen here and would love some insight from anybody with more experience. I had to use miles to book a last minute award flight due to a death in the family. Usually I book award flights well in advance, so I have no issue picking seats. I've already flown the initial leg of the flight, but the return leg on Sunday has no seats left even though I'm ticketed in first class on the flight. I normally wouldn't pick first class, but it was all that's available. There are no first class seats left on the flight. It shows all unavailable when I go to pick a seat and they're not selling any either.

What's going to happen in this situation if there are no first class seats left? Am I going to be put in coach? I don't mind sitting in coach, but I'd mind it if I paid the miles for first class and am stuck in coach having "paid" for first class. Will they just return me my miles? Any insight would be great!
Sorry to hear about the death in the family, hope everything is ok. You will fly in first class, usually some seats are held till the end. If no seats available, it will be in coach, and you will have to request credit for the difference in class flown. You can also call AA to request a seat now, and ask them why sell ticket if no seat available. Alternatively, is there another routing available for you?