FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - obese pax denied boarding
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:29 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lloydah
How do you propose the (any) airline should get someone home who put on a vast amount of weight and couldn't, even without the help of the fire brigade, get onto the plane?
I don't propose anything. I have no issue whatsoever for any airline to refuse service based on the laws of that nation to a passenger who reasonably cannot be accommodated in the seat class they are trying to purchase. IMO, Delta and Lufthansa's mistake was in accepting the obese woman as a passenger in the first place--thereby taking responsibility for what transpired when they failed to fulfill their end of the contract. Had both airlines refused to ticket the passenger, assuming they are allowed to do so under the laws that apply to them in the EU, neither airline would be responsible for what transpired.

People seem to be making the argument that this woman somehow gained an incredible amount of weight while she was in Europe--that has not been shown to be the case. Regardless, if that were the case, KLM, LH, and DL were capable of indicating their inability to deliver on the service they promised by not ticketing the passenger in the first place--since the all were made aware of her condition after KLM was unable to accommodate her. In KLM's case, apparently, the reason they couldn't accommodate her was because the two seats she had booked were faulty seats that would not accommodate her--so the fault again therein was with KLM and its faulty seats, not the woman who purchased 2 seats.

For people who are morbidly obese, I have no issue with an airliner refusing service in economy or requiring purchase of premium class seating when the purchase of 2 functional economy seats will not accommodate that passenger. Then it is the responsibility of the passenger to find alternative means to get from point A to point B or accept that their condition precludes them using commercial aviation.