FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Day in Naples
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:23 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Pollo
1 thing not to be missed in Naples is the "Cristo Velato", absolutely astonishing!
Of all of the art I've seen in Italy, Cristo Velato impressed me the most, with the possible exception of the Pieta. Technically, it's almost impossible to figure out how such an intricate sculpture could be made.

As you know, museums generally don't allow you to take photos of the art in Italy, but you can do it anyway because it's usually too crowded for the few monitors to stop it. Unfortunately, not in Capella Sansevero with the Cristo Velato. I've tried to get a picture, but have not been able to, because you are going to pretty much be there by yourself, at any time of the year.

That's one of the great things about Naples. The Capodimonte is said to have more masterpieces than any museum in Italy aside from the Uffizi, but it can take hours on line to get into the Uffizi if you don't know the end arounds, and it is packed like a sardine can most of the year. In Naples you can see almost as many Michelangelo, Botticelli, Titian, Caravaggio, Raphael masterpieces with no lines by simply walking in, and you can sit there as long as you want, and contemplate.

I agree with you, Cristo Velato is really something not to be missed.