FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:09 pm
phlwookie

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That lasagna looks good, and, in contrast to some of the other elements, it's a generous portion.

My criticism of that meal follows:

1. The salad is, well, tiny. I don't demand an "Elaine Benes" Big Salad before dinner, but that salad is about the size of an international economy salad (where tiny portions are expected), not a salad befitting a six hour flight in domestic F. It looks like a salad the FAs would assemble for a child, not an adult.
It was on the smaller side, but not a significant departure from before.

2. IMO, the warm nuts were delivered late. They aren't an "appetizer," that was the beef dish on your tray. The warm nuts are a cocktail snack and should be served with the post-takeoff drink service. When I have dinner at a bar, the bartender makes sure I have the nuts/pretzels/whatever when he serves my drink, not right before my dinner is served.
I may not have characterized the timing properly in my write up by using the word "appetizer". It was delivered with a drink service after the entree orders were taken. This didn't seem an unusual time for them.

3. The cheesy roll looks delicious - were seconds offered? It's prepared to the same scale as the salad - like a child's portion. Hope you can get more than one.
It was good. The FA offered to provide more as they do on the transatlantics in business, but I was full enough with dessert still on the way, so I didn't ask for any.

Want people to pay for F instead of paying for F on UA or VX (both of which appear to have dinner flights to SFO as well)? Up the game a little in F.

The meal looks great, but it doesn't look like a First Class dinner for a six hour transcon flight. It looks like a dinner/snack well-suited for a 1000-1200 mile mid-con flight.
While I can see where you're coming from, at least for me it was an appropriate serving size. Obviously different people have differing appetites.

I'll be able to critique breakfast later this week provided I don't sleep through it, something I have been known to do ...