FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:45 am
rzsionak

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
If the marketplace were that rationale, perhaps you would be right. But it isn't.

I agree that all aisle access does not lead to an increase in price for the airline. I agree that a denser configuration allows for greater profitability.

Yet a super-majority of airlines are installing direct aisle access, lay-flat seats in C. There must be a reason, and maintaining market share is the most reasonable explanation.
I would not say a super majority of airlines are putting in all aisle access seats particularly when you consider UA, LH, and BA don't have it and they are three of the biggest airlines in the world. What I think is more likely is that airlines who have other competitive issues (i.e. less desirable hubs, leisure oriented brand) are sacrificing the maximization of revenue to gain market share they wouldn't get otherwise. UA and LH have valuable hubs and business oriented brands (despite UAs efforts to undermine theirs), so sacrificing revenue solely to marginally improve comfort for their customers would probably not be a smart strategy.