FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:17 am
TWA Fan 1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by fly18725
In most cases, there's been a trade for all-aisle access. For AA, it will be the loss of F and much denser Y cabins. Others have smaller J cabins. The only carriers without a trade off are those using the Thompson staggered seat - DL, LX, OS, AC on some - but that only provides aisle access for every seat on a 767.

Of course, Asian airlines can offer more square footage to each passenger because it's subsidized vis-a-vie Western competitors with lower salaries.

That said, I think all aisle access is required for the future and negates the need for F in almost every market. Rather than try to recycle something off the shelf, UAL should follow AA and BA's lead and design a proprietary seat.
I am not advocating for all-aisle access, in most cases, as you write, it definitely has its trade-offs.

When flying with a loved one, in fact, it can be a major detriment.

But I agree with you that, moving forward, we will see more and more all-aisle access as this has become the current "best in class" feature for this level of premium cabin.

Perhaps, just as CO pioneered BF to be a J product with an F seat (of the time), UaCo today should once again rediscover that pioneering spirit and introduce a new BF that features a true contemporary F seat and soft-product at a J price.

Given the reigning approach over at the corner office at the Sears Tower, I'm sure quite a few of you are chuckling reading that...

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Sep 7, 2014 at 9:35 am