FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling for Culture and Where to Stay
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I lived in Charleston for 6+ years, quite recently actually.

I've been to almost every hotel in the HD.

Zero George....I mean really, top 5 hotel of anywhere I've stayed. World class is an understatement. ZG has a B&B feel with full hotel amenities. The food is awesome and the lobby is actually a kitchen. When you walk in the check-in area, you're in a full restaurant kitchen. Sounds kitschy, but it's so tastefully done you feel like you're in Tuscany or something.
Top 5? Really.. wow then I might have to give it a try... I'ld love to be surprised by it... I've always stayed away because of the room size. Location doesn't bother me as long as it's not summer.
Not a fan of Charleston Place, as the place has taken on the feel of a convention center. Feels like your run of the mill Ritz-Carlton now. Impersonal = good assessment. Keep in mind: the lobby is essentially a public right-of-way, and [while I don't blame them], hundreds cut through the lobby to use the A/C while getting from Market to King. It also has that shopping mall vibe [Gucci, Tommy Bahama, etc].
I agree it's got a horrible feel; especially as a cut through (but great clean bathrooms for the cut throughers). I've always been reluctant to stay at CP because the impression I've had is that it's a tired hotel. I peeked into a couple of the unrenovated rooms. Mass retching is the impulse I had. Yellows and florals.. very very unappealing...I went in with very low expectations, merely choosing the hotel because of its location. My expectations were indeed surpassed. And, it's quite nice to have the pool option during the summer.. our massage treatments were also quite nice... of note this hotel is both Virtuoso and FHR but the included breakfast is continental only. (or continental credit)

Vendue Inn is a good luxury option, going through a massive renovation right now, so if you're going --> make sure to request a room at the "Vendue Suites" - not in the main building. I thought our suite [all suite property on the Vendue Suite side of the hotel] was a 10/10, both for hard product and soft. That said, I wouldn't call the main building luxury, at all [more of a 3.5-4 star product].
i considered Vendue Inn as well.. I noticed that they seemed to have some nice looking rooms on their website, but I couldn't find out too much more info about them. I guess I would give them a try next time I'm there...

Market Pavilion, part of LHW. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I think they have some of the nicer rooms in the city [as FDW pointed out]. They're quite beautiful. The views looking at Fort Sumter are nice as well. But, the lobby is a steakhouse [a good one at that, Grill 225], and the rooftop literally turns into a night club at night. I like to stay here during off-season, when the area is quiet. Otherwise, I'd skip, as the Market/East Bay are my least favorite areas of the HD.
We stayed here our wedding night. I didn't expect any special treatment (nor did I receive any) but they placed us in a second floor room right above a raucous party that went till probably 2 AM. I called multiple times to complain about the noise and all they could tell me is that it would be over eventually.. I'll never go back....

Wentworth Mansion, in my mind, is a world-class hotel. To call the place gorgeous is an understatement of epic proportions. [FDW, if you don't like WM's location, you'll hate Zero George's, being that it's on the corner of East Bay and George St., near Harris Teeter.] Personally, I like the location of WM, because Wentworth is a beautiful residential area walkable to King/Queen without being in the middle of things. [I lived at 74 Wentworth for 2 years, also lived in Colonial Lake.] I'd say Wentworth is a 5-10 min. walk from almost everything. Yea, wouldn't want to do it during the summer...but any other time of year, great!
I lived at 55 Ashley for 4 years. Right on Colonial lake as well. Wentworth is my favorite in the city. Absolutely amazing rooms; great service. My mom had a cancer workup at MUSC and I put her up at Wentworth and they treated her like the queen she is....

I always recommend WM or ZG if you're been to Charleston before and know the lay of the land.

If you haven't been before, I recommend RoK.

If those don't appeal to you, then Market Pavilion or CP.
I usually recommend FQI before ROK for 1st timers but after my last stay I'll recommend Charleston Place.. it's slowly improving and I think it'll be better than the ho hum RC (i.e. RC Bulkhead). I place French Quarter Inn about the same place as a ho hum RC as well....

Sounds like for my next stay I need to consider Zero George or Vendue Suites, but might head back to Wentworth...

One option; though way far afield is the Sanctuary at Kiawah.. 45-50 minutes away but great golf and beaches... I never stay out there because I love Charleston but my buddy goes down 3 times a year.. he rates it as his second favorite hotel in the USA, behind FS Maui...

As far as cultural stuff.. Spoleto is wonderful. But the city is an absolute zoo around that time... for me it was one and done. I would rather come back in the quite period (January/February) and just eat. So many amazing food choice for a small city. We usually spend 3 nights and it's not enough... there is also a great cocktail scene showing up... the guys that make Bittermilk mixers are out of Charleston at the Gin Joint which is my new favorite place to get a drink (insane bourbon list). You can't go wrong visiting Charleston...

FDW