FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling for Culture and Where to Stay
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:13 pm
pricesquire
Suspended

I lived in Charleston for 6+ years, quite recently actually.

I've been to almost every hotel in the HD.

Zero George....I mean really, top 5 hotel of anywhere I've stayed. World class is an understatement. ZG has a B&B feel with full hotel amenities. The food is awesome and the lobby is actually a kitchen. When you walk in the check-in area, you're in a full restaurant kitchen. Sounds kitschy, but it's so tastefully done you feel like you're in Tuscany or something.

Restoration on King is also a world class hotel, but keep in mind --> it's basically a condo/apartment [full kitchen]. The project was supposed to be condos and developer ended up needing short term cash I believe, so they're full service hotel rooms. Breakfast is amazing here, and it's delivered to your door with the paper in a basket. [The top floor does have a few actual apartments, and a celeb or two live in the building.]

Not a fan of Charleston Place, as the place has taken on the feel of a convention center. Feels like your run of the mill Ritz-Carlton now. Impersonal = good assessment. Keep in mind: the lobby is essentially a public right-of-way, and [while I don't blame them], hundreds cut through the lobby to use the A/C while getting from Market to King. It also has that shopping mall vibe [Gucci, Tommy Bahama, etc].

Vendue Inn is a good luxury option, going through a massive renovation right now, so if you're going --> make sure to request a room at the "Vendue Suites" - not in the main building. I thought our suite [all suite property on the Vendue Suite side of the hotel] was a 10/10, both for hard product and soft. That said, I wouldn't call the main building luxury, at all [more of a 3.5-4 star product].

Market Pavilion, part of LHW. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I think they have some of the nicer rooms in the city [as FDW pointed out]. They're quite beautiful. The views looking at Fort Sumter are nice as well. But, the lobby is a steakhouse [a good one at that, Grill 225], and the rooftop literally turns into a night club at night. I like to stay here during off-season, when the area is quiet. Otherwise, I'd skip, as the Market/East Bay are my least favorite areas of the HD.

Wentworth Mansion, in my mind, is a world-class hotel. To call the place gorgeous is an understatement of epic proportions. [FDW, if you don't like WM's location, you'll hate Zero George's, being that it's on the corner of East Bay and George St., near Harris Teeter.] Personally, I like the location of WM, because Wentworth is a beautiful residential area walkable to King/Queen without being in the middle of things. [I lived at 74 Wentworth for 2 years, also lived in Colonial Lake.] I'd say Wentworth is a 5-10 min. walk from almost everything. Yea, wouldn't want to do it during the summer...but any other time of year, great!

I always recommend WM or ZG if you're been to Charleston before and know the lay of the land.

If you haven't been before, I recommend RoK.

If those don't appeal to you, then Market Pavilion or CP.

FWIW: both the French Quarter Inn & Planters Inn are supposed to be absolute gems. They're the only ones in the HD I've never stayed at, oddly [next to John Rutledge House]. Also, skip Harbourview Inn, despite the good reviews. People are sold on the location [Pineapple Fountain & East Bay] but I think its very Marriott-esque.

Last edited by pricesquire; Sep 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm