FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling for Culture and Where to Stay
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by KatW
And, of course, Spoleto! Where to stay in Charleston?
Love Charleston. love Spoleto. Great restaurants as well.. but honestly for Charleston to make the jump to a world city it needs to have a world class hotel... and it just doesn't. Individual hotels have some elements of it but no hotel has the complete package.. we visit about once a year and used to live there...

Thoughts:
Charleston Place has a great location. Spa is the best in town. The saltwater pool is quite nice. It's a hotel that was built in the 80s and originally an Omni if I'm not mistaken... it's currently getting renovated... I actually quite like the new decor (take a look at the premier room; that's the direction of the new design). however, the footprint of the rooms and bathrooms are the same. Bathrooms especially are dated... they either have a shower tub combination or just a shower. I think some suites have a separate shower and tub but none had been renovated. We stayed in a suite on our last visit and quite liked it. Like I said I like the palate a lot. We took breakfast in room every morning and were very happy with that option. But, it's a large hotel (?> 400 rooms) and busy so while service is good;it's a bit impersonal. I do believe that there is a club level but I would skip that option. there are so many good restaurants in Charleston it's better to be out eating... definitely though go for a renovated room.. the rest of the hotel still reflects the old aesthetic and I'm not sure what the plan for that is...

Some pictures from our stay:

French Quarter Inn
Also good location; we only stayed there once. I was underwhelmed by the room if I recall

Market Pavillion Inn
Reasonable location on east bay and the market. Nice hard product. All rooms with separate shower and tub. Hermes products. Absolutely atrocious service. Pool but more of a bar space. Weird lobby space shared with a restaurant. I would skip

Wentworth mansion
My favorite hotel. Great great rooms. Big bathrooms, gas fireplaces. Love reading on the day bed. It's my favorite room to spend a January day. Some spa treatments available. Free parking. Great three course breakfast (no room service). No pool. Biggest drawback is absolutely horrible location (though 1 block from where I used to live)..

I've heard good things about Zero George and the Restoration on king; both boutiquey....

FDW