FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nairobi, Kenya - what to do layover - several days?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:16 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
3 nights in Nairobi prior to Tanzania Safari- where to stay/what to do?

Our Safari tour beings in Arusha on Friday, Oct 31st. We arrive in Nairobi on the Tuesday before, giving us 3 nights there. Arriving 10:30am Tuesday, that day will be shot... endless travel from SFO to get there, hopefully hit the bed and sleep.

Seems like a lot of good day trips out of Nairobi, but should we stay somewhere on the outskirts, near Karen? Are there locations that are better, as a base for daytrips, than others? And aside from Karen House, the Giraffes and Elephants, any other must-see things in the Nairobi area?

The idea would be to have a relatively-relaxing time prior to the safari. I don't mind staying at a "touristy" place if it's convenient as far as getting picked up for day trips.

My preference would be to avoid renting a car if possible. I haven't yet driven on the "wrong" side of the road and don't want to start after being severely jet-lagged. I have a tough-enough time as a pedestrian in London or Sydney.

By the way, we'll be flying from NBO to JRO on Friday to catch our Safari. Probably around noon.

Thanks-