FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are Travel Agents of Any Value?
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:41 am
pricesquire
Suspended

Originally Posted by alhcfp
Appreciate your response Ben. Lets keep playing.

I will be offline for a week starting Sat. in case you respond and I don't.

"I've met the GM of almost every hotel in the Virtuoso network" How many hotels is this? are you claiming to know every GM in every chain?

When you say "MET" was this a handshake line or a meaningful conversation?

How does this translate to cruises and cars.

Does Virtuoso target a specific market or is everyone your client?

THANKS
I met 88 vendors/GMs/suppliers per day for 5 days. We had three tables (our agency), so that's 1,320 meetings over the course of a week.

Each meeting is no longer than 4 minutes, but you'd be surprised what happens in 4 minutes. Furthermore, if you want a longer meeting, you meet over breakfast, lunch, dinner, or one of the numerous breaks provided.

I am not suggesting I know every GM of every chain. I am not suggesting I am buddy-buddy with all of them. What I am suggesting is that once you've met someone, and have their cell phone, and personal email address, and access to someone beyond front desk/reservations, things change a little.

I am suggesting I have personal relationships (we email regarding non-business things, we've talked on the phone, I've sent people to their property, they've sent me gifts....etc) with the people I meet at Travel Week.

You'd be surprised how much of a 'reunion feel' Vegas has that week.

The travel industry is very much a you scratch my back I scratch your back situation. So, when I send someone to a hotel/tour/safari, there is a level of recognition between vendor and myself that goes way beyond someone calling the front desk of a random hotel and asking for something.

When I book a reservation, I work directly with the GM or their assistant. There is no calling of a front desk for me and wishing for the best.

This is a direct quote from a General Manager - I got this email this morning after sending a guest their way. I won't tell you the name of the hotel/GM (for obvious reasons):

Thanks, Ben!

That’s outstanding.
Can you send us their name or confirmation number so we can VIP and flag their reservation?

Is there an amenity that you would like to send on your behalf to the guests?

Another OWNER (not GM) email I got this week:

Hello Ben
So lovely to hear from you
We are thrilled Ms XXXX will be with us .
XXXX is a wonderful resting retreat with spa and treatments galore.
But there are also lots of Historic Houses, museums, antiquing and on & on. Edith Whartons home is just a mile & a half walk with beautiful gardens.
Our Lodging Manager will call you in the morning to go over specifics
Thank you again and again

How does this translate into cruises and cars?

Same thing. We meet car vendors (everything from Avis/Enterprise to AutoEurope - my personal favorite - will match any rate, anywhere with amazing customer service).

Met the CEO of Silversea and met cruise company reps from AmaWaterways, Crystal, Royal Caribbean, Viking, and plenty more. Per usual, I have their personal contact info, which is great for bypassing a 1-800 number!

Virtuoso's main market is luxury/leisure. That being said, I have clients where I regularly book them $79 dollar a night hotel rooms and have never taken anything but Carnival. I also have clients who regularly drop $30k for 2 on a safari, and who rent out a French barge cruise for $50k a week.

As an advisor, I deal with people regardless of budget. After all, I can't afford a $30k safari or a $50k cruise