FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Icelandair captain takes pax on a volcano sightseeing tour
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:12 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by sky303
Welcome to FT. And I just dont get how that makes sense from the shot, and also the window doesn't have a shade, like it would on a 757. Almost looks like it was taken from an entirely different aircraft, like a high wing turboprop. And aren't the pitots on a five-seven towards the nose?
My thought as well....and when I saw the photo, I thought it was actually taken from a high wing aircraft, probably a turboprop. BTW, I have an airline industry background which includes a management position with an ATR-42 operator in Hawaii.

Icelandair does not operate turboprops, only 752s and 753s.......however, Air Iceland does operate propjets, specifically the Dash 8 and Fokker 50 primarily on local service routes on the island. Both are high wing aircraft.

So I'm thinking that Icelandair is not really the air carrier involved here and it was actually Air Iceland.

Of course, this would not be the first time the news media got the facts wrong.......