FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:58 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kebosabi
For all that we know today is that even if they can support it since April 2013, doesn't necessarily mean they'd turn it on. Just like I can buy a Core i7 computer that is capable and certified in running Windows 8, doesn't necessarily mean I have to use Windows 8.

Why they won't turn it on is anyone's guess. Lack of competition? You don't hear "I will cancel my service with processor A which hasn't activated EMV yet and instead go to processor B which has."

Then again, we also have reports of active EMV terminals at liquor stores so it's anyone's guess what the real hold up is.
Like switching banks, switching one's merchant processor is actually a serious pain. While there may be a lot of them, you're pretty much locked into your current one without quite possibly buying new equipment. Speaking of merchant equipment, if your merchant account is with Chase Paymentech and you have their "futureproof terminal", your business pretty much has EMV and contactless turned on already. ^