FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New HEL lounge - when will it open (and how can we get invited)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:19 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by YClass
Finnair clearly underestimated the number of pax using the "Premium" lounge. When I got there around 3pm I was told it may be too busy and I might want to use the old lounge. It was totally jammed.
Thanks for a IRL report!
And that was my fear all along - AY turning something premium into something not very premium. Building a brand new premium lounge and then immediately overcrowd it by setting the bar too low.

Originally Posted by Justinus
Personally I do not understand why on earth they welcome OW Sapphires. They are obviously too many for this lounge. ...
Me neither.
I suspect AY made a deal with JL and BA to include OW saphires. These two airlines obviously have had an impact on the lounge coming into existence, so for the sake of JVs AY needed to accept the JV airlines "high" tier members. And then it was too complicated to name just a few, so they added all OW sapphires.

So what they actually did with this new lounge was making things better for silvers. As silvers now will have the old lounge to them selves, that lounge now is less crowded. Way to go, AY.