FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Has left Marriott to become Best Western] Element Frankfurt Airport [Master Thread]
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:18 am
ralfkrippner
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Stayed there tonight.

Plat Upgrade was given into a suite. From the floor plan it seems that there are 2 suites per floor (7 floors available), facing the side of the entrance.

Suite is a nice size and good layout. Ample storage space, good kitchen with dishwasher and fridge. Nice large flatscreens in living room and bedroom. Very clean and with the "new"-smell.

I like the temperature levels offered with the AC from 16 to 25°C. I also found the AC to be not too loud and the air stream not uncomfortable lying in bed or sitting on the sofa even when on "high". When your windows are opened the aircraft noise is a bit loud, but when closed you don't hear much.

The bathroom is nicely designed with a large walk in shower and no bathtub. Shower features a showerhead and a ceiling mounted rainfall function. Waterpressure for the showerhead is just OK but quite good for the rainfall shower.

Bed is comfortable and large. Living room offers a nice large working desk and office chair. Sofa is a bit hard and no addtl. pillows are available to arrange a comfortable rest. A Nespresso machine and a teakettle are available. 3 Nespresso capsules are refilled daily. Very good number and position of plugs for charging your electronic devices across the room (Must be the first hotel where I felt there are enough and good located plugs).

Internet access is free for up to 5 devices and the speed was quite good (might be different when more guests are there using it).

What I'm missing in the room: A chair or Rack to hang your clothes over night in the bedroom. Towel racks in the bathroom to hang your damp towels or a shirt on a hanger. A glass for your toothbrush in the bath. A few pillows for the sofa. More than two coffee cups, two glasses, two plates and two sets of cutlery in the kitchen. A free bottle of water in the room. A working remote control for the tv where it is easy to switch from channel to channel without using the menu every time. And finally a better choice of tv and radio channels (too few international channels, and for german guests the local third tv programs like HR3, BR3, WDR3 should be available).

Checkin area with pantry shop and lobby area are nice. Tapas restaurant (This is the first element I've stayed at where there is a restaurant - is this a recent addition to the concept or just a one off local addition) is a bit unwelcoming in a kind of cantina style. A small breakfast buffet is offered there in the morning and it seems that breakfast is always included in your stay. They have a professional barista style coffee machine. Breakfast choice is a bit minimalistic but high quality and with eggs (any style) made on order. Restaurant seems not to be open in the evenings yet but you have to ask to get information on that. I overheard a guest calling the reception and they told him that there are no options nearby and that he has to "walk to the airport for any kind of restaurant". Wow!
The pantry shop offers water, sodas, juices, different sorts of beer and (0,75l) winebottles, also snacks and some microwave food for your in room kitchen. Pricing is OK, 0,5l Coke is 2,20 EUR, a bag of peanuts 2,50.

What I'm missing in the hotel in general: A bit upgraded breakfast option with at least some fruit, cereals and muesli. Certainly better options for getting to/from the airport. Parking options other than paying 25 EUR/day.

Beeing an airport hotel it is an absolute no go to only offer public bus service against a charge to get to/from the airport. The least would be to have schedules for the bus services available in every room and offering vouchers for airport transfer on these buses. But as soon as bookings pick up there absolutely has to be a free hotel shuttle available. Maybe they should partner up with the neighboring hotels.

Beeing an extended stay hotel there is an absolute need to offer enough affordable parking space. Offering monthly stays for 69,- EUR/day and then asking for 25 EUR parking/day or 105 EUR/week is not attracting customers and for me would be a strong "no go" to stay there when bringing a car.

There is absolutely zero free parking space at or near the hotel. Some cars still parked on the street in no parking zones (not sure how these are enforced - but can a "ticket" be more expensive than the 25 EUR the hotel is charging?). Some guest of the other hotels parked on a spot of grass/dirt which certainly is no official parking lot and looked more like a construction site to be started shortly. When bookings pick up parking will be a big issue around the hotel, I guess it will be pure "wild west".