FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA - a global airline but not for "foreigners"?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:46 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
On a related topic, I have never had an issue with me or someone I bought a ticket for flying on a ticket purchased by someone different than the traveler EXCEPT when flying on DL. They routinely give my parents the thiird degree when flying on tickets I purchased for them, Our last names are the same, so you would think they might consider that the purchase was legitimate. Now, I realize it clearly states when purchasing a DL ticket that the purchaser must present the credit card used for purchase at the time of travel, but I have neber seen this rule enforced or even mentioned except for DL travel.
I haven't seen UA do this since well before the merger - some tickets had text in red requiring credit card to be presented at check in or prior to travel for verification. However, come here to Asia, it is common with various carriers,even when the purchaser is a traveler. Here how SQ describes it, from an FAQ on their site:

Why am I notified to present my credit/debit card for verification?

We process all card transactions through a fraud detection tool. The tool considers various characteristics of your booking, as well as your card details, and makes an assessment of the risk level. If your transaction is flagged out by our tool, you will be required to present the physical card for verification in person prior to the flight at any Singapore Airlines ticketing office, or during check in at the airport. You will be notified during the payment process if such a requirement is needed, and will be given the option to either proceed, choose another card or payment method.

This security measure helps protect our valued customers against fraudulent use of their payment cards on Singapore Airlines.

Please bring along a photo identification when you turn up for card verification to identify yourself as the cardholder.
On the two tickets I've booked this year with them, both in my own name and using my own CC, I've been chosen for verification, and both times, asked on departure for the card. Same story on TK, TG and CX this year. I think 6E also verified my card on one trip, but on several others, did not. And I know I've had relatives need to do this for EK, as well, but since the purchaser wasn't a traveler, she had to go to the EK office for verification.

UA may not ask now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this required more often on all airlines if CC fraud continues at the rate it has.