FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA - a global airline but not for "foreigners"?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:05 pm
Air Houston

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Does ay tone else think this tnread should be merged with one of the previous threads on this exact same topic?

Airlines based in China are the best case for buying locally that I know of. My local team in China can routinely purchase a ticket for me to travel within China at abut 1/4 the cost of the same flight purchased in the U.S.

Round trips between the U.S. and Europe Are routinely cheaper when purchased for travel originating in Europe. If you fly often between the two continents you may aready be taking advantage of this.

For United I think they are over simplifying by assigning your point of sale to the country where your credit card is issued, but in case of dispute the rules and laws for that country would likely prevail for that transaction, so it makes sense for UA to do it this way. What is flyer friendly about UA compared to some ther companies is that there is a relatively simple way around the system (as posted by others) if you feel compelled to do that. Perhaps that United has allowed this loophole to remain available to its customets is a conscious decision to allow it so that custoners who find this important can still book United while they collect the maximum revenue the market will pay the rest of the time.

On a related topic, I have never had an issue with me or someone I bought a ticket for flying on a ticket purchased by someone different than the traveler EXCEPT when flying on DL. They routinely give my parents the thiird degree when flying on tickets I purchased for them, Our last names are the same, so you would think they might consider that the purchase was legitimate. Now, I realize it clearly states when purchasing a DL ticket that the purchaser must present the credit card used for purchase at the time of travel, but I have neber seen this rule enforced or even mentioned except for DL travel.