FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:35 pm
ericdabbs

Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
Hi all, I have a couple of newbie questions about (switching from BB to) serve:

1) What is the advantage of getting a temporary card from a physical store, instead of getting it directly from serve.com? The only one I can see is the additional $500 in the initial temporary load. Anything else?

2) Are tempered cards something that I should worry about (like this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ard-fraud.html)?

Thanks!
1) Yes that is really the only reason to take the effort to get a temporary card is to get that extra $500 in MS. When you register for Serve online, you get no MS for signing up.

2) You always have to be on the lookout for tampered GCs because there will always be folks out there looking to scam people. That is not going to change. But honestly if you do your due diligence when you buy your VGCs by fully inspecting each VGC and its packaging to ensure there are no slits, scratch offs or barcodes that are revealed that can lead to possible tampering the risks of scam is slim. One of the rules you should make a habit of is to try to dump the VGC as soon as you can.

If you can't go to WM to buy a temp Serve card immediately after you buy your VGC, then you should just wait another day until you can do so. I make it a habit now to try to buy and dump my VGCs within a few hours when possible. Other than that, good luck.