FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:44 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by kv1
I'll be receiving my UNFCU card in the post sometime next week. I'll be sure to post the CVM here unless someone beats me to it.

As a footnote...I opened an account with UNFCU just so I could have their chip/PIN card. When my main financial institution (BofA) phoned me yesterday to follow up on my chip/PIN concerns, I made it very clear to them that I have opened an account with UNFCU and I told them the exact reason why this was done. It wasn't a threat, but rather, I wanted them to understand how important this issue is to some customers. If UNFCU works out I just might make them my primary FI.

I can't help but wonder how many customers UNFCU has gained simply because they offer a chip/PIN card.
My guess is few. Well there's you and now there's me and maybe a few others here but most people couldn't care less to be frank about it. They have no clue as to the diffefrence between chip and pin as opposed to chip and signature and to be consistant, the reality is I am just doing this as a precaution just in case I run into the odd merchant who voids a chip and signature transaction which would take place outside the USA. It is clear that gfor the foreseeable future, the USA will be chip and signature and people whose cards lack offline pin capability will not be inconvenienced in the slightest.

As far as mc preferring chip and pin as opposed to chip and signature, that seems to be an urban myth as not a single US bank seems ot have any intention of offering a "true" chip and pin card whether it's a mc or a visa or an Amex.