FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Go Turkey on Jetstar, Turkish J/Y, Pegasus and Singapore J
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:48 am
ycp81

We initially had slightly more than 4hrs between our flights and I expected the TK check-in counters to open only 3hrs before the flight departure time of 2315hrs. However, at about 1920hrs when we went up to the departure hall, we noticed that the TK check-in counters were already being prepared and there was already queue for check-in. At 1930hrs, which was 3h45m prior to departure, the check-in counters were opened for check-in. Really early! As I had performed online check-in 24hrs prior, we were able to bypass the normal economy queue and proceed to the bag-drop counter. 6 counters were opened for check-in. The check-in agent was able to tag our bags all the way to Izmir, even though our connecting domestic was bought on a separate TK ticket. According to the agent, the flight was overbooked in economy today, and also for quite a number of days before/after.

TK check-in counters at KLIA.

Flying Turkish Airlines today!

Passed departure immigration when I had arrived barely 30min ago and we proceeded to the Plaza Premium Lounge at the satellite terminal to await our flight. This lounge was also used by TK's Business Class passengers.

Boarding passes for the flights while we snacked in the lounge.

Some of the lounge food and snack offerings.

Ending with a nice cup of cappuccino.

14 August 2014
Turkish Airlines
TK 61
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Istanbul Ataturk (IST)
A340-300
TC-JII
Business Class

About 40min before departure, we proceeded to the gate for the flight. The holding gate was rather full and an additional security screening was done.

Flight was operated by an A340-300 aircraft TC-JII. Initially when I booked the flight, it was scheduled to be operated by an A330-300, but was swapped to the older A340 a couple of months later. Not that I minded as the A340 offers slightly more seat pitch in economy and it is now considered a rarity to fly on an A340.

Our boarding passes was scanned at the gate and instead of the familiar 'beep' sounds, our passes returned a 'buzz' rejected sound and we were shown to the desk beside. To our out-most surprise, the boarding agent took our boarding passes, tore them and immediately printed new ones and said "5D/E Business Class, enjoy!". Wow, we were both upgraded to Business Class! Totally unexpected as it was my first time flying TK and I had no status other than my lowly Krisflyer status. Plus, I don't think my tickets were at too high a fare-class. And it was my first ever upgrade in my life from Economy to Business Class! Thanks, Turkish Airlines! Probably we were the first few to check-in? Who knows... Apparently there were quite a few other upgraders as well.

Business Class boarding pass. Similar to Economy ones though.

After recovering from the 'shock', we boarded the aircraft through the front door and was welcomed by the male purser and directed to the correct aisle. The A340 was fitted with the older-generation sloping lie-flat seats (think similar to TG's older J seats). We were seated at the last row of the middle section. Lost my original window seat but who cares when you have gained a Business Class seat! Plus the entire flight would be in total darkness.

Business Class seats. A, ergonomic lumber cushion and a "Sky Illusion" sleeping kit (more on this later) was already on each seat. I stored the bulky sleeping kit in the overhead bins for later use.

Amenity kits, headphones and a pair of slippers were also pre-set at each seat. The Business cabin filled up and ended almost full.