FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More awesomeness out of ATL thanks to Southwest
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:28 pm
rtalk25

I'm curious when JetBlue will return to ATL. I think with Southwest decreasing the former AirTran route of BOS-ATL to just 3x daily, JetBlue can wedge it's way on to the route. Even though Southwest's planes have more seats, it loses on frequency which is important to business traffic.

Plus, I think JetBlue would offer ATL-FLL, and it could sell some connections (albeit backwards) but filling seats on itineries like DCA-FLL-ATL or ORH-FLL-ATL. It'd probably perform better in ATL than HOU or DFW with more connections via FLL if FLL is offered.

As for Frontier, some might not like it, but Frontier and Spirit will offer low fares which will be popular ultimately. I have a feeling that Frontier might use a slot pair dedicated currently on CLE-LGA or DEN-LGA, on ATL-LGA instead eventually and undercut the Southwest faring on the route, but Southwest will be more focused on courting business travelers.

I've kind of wondered why Spirit can offer ACY-ATL seasonally, Frontier can offer TTN-ATL and ILG-ATL, but Southwest has little interest in ISP-ATL even seasonally during the summer. I can't imagine that a single seasonal ISP-ATL diluting their LGA-ATL service.

Last edited by rtalk25; Aug 29, 2014 at 10:37 pm