FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:27 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For those of us who haven't tried to use the paper certs the jury is still out on whether this is a change we will like. I will definitely be happy if upgrade inventory for F is added <30 days before flight though I suspect that quite a few seats are freed up within the <10 hours mark. The lack of waitlist and resulting hassle of checking inventory every day is idiotic

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
This looks to be an improvement for me as I've not been bothered with what seems like hassle of paper GPUs. Some operational issues seem likely but at least I might get to use one or two. Lets see.
+1 This would incentivize me to book LH if in practice F seats are made available. I never bothered with paper GPUs fka SWUs as I would not want to wait until checkin to find out if I will be stuck with the horrid old C seat - was just easier to book UA.

In some ways this is less of a big deal as LH rolls out the new horizontal lie flat seats in C.

Originally Posted by sammybk
I see one big downside to this. LH F award space will likely be gone for good now. Any F award space will now be snapped up by GPU
Doubtful, most GPU users are not booking paid C months in advance, but rather are business travelers. I don't know when LH normally releases F space but if it is available 6+ months I don't think this will much affect that advance inventory. To be fair, I can see seats filling <30 days before travel so last minute F inventory may disappear except for people redeeming miles <10 hours.