FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Airbus 380 - problems and discontinuation" thread
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:10 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Where is this info you keep talking about? What is the source? All I see is you quoting news source out of context. So whether the A380 is really a failure as you claimed is open to question.
OK, here we go, folks: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/bu...rbus-a380.html

While the A380 program has been a boon for the European aerospace industry, Airbus is unlikely to recover its research and development costs. The best it can now expect is to break even on production costs, according to analysts, provided that it can keep orders going.
As I said, Airbus is unlikely to recoup its investment designing/creating the A380.

The A380 has a list price of $400 million, but the pressure has forced Airbus to cut prices as much as 50 percent, according to industry analysts. So far, Airbus has received 318 orders and delivered 138 planes to just 11 airlines — a disappointing tally given forecasts that the plane would be a flagship aircraft for carriers worldwide.
Airbus has struggled to sell the planes. Orders have been slow, and not a single buyer has been found in the United States, South America, Africa or India. Only one airline in China has ordered it, and its only customer in Japan has canceled. Even existing customers are paring down orders.
And from another source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A151O120140206

Airbus said it aimed to get 750 total orders when it unveiled the double-decker passenger jet.

But 13 years after it was first launched, sales have remained at less than half that level as airlines focus attention on advances in the latest twin-engined jets. As of end-2013, Airbus had orders for 304 superjumbos.
Wow, just like I said. And like I and others had quoted earlier in this discussion--again, just like I said. Not so open a question, after all...like I said.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 28, 2014 at 1:36 am