FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:41 pm
TRVLUPGD

Originally Posted by trueblu
I agree and disagree. I certainly don't inflict bad food on myself, regardless of whether it is free. However, not having a fancy expense account, nor piles of cash, I did/ do appreciate good quality grub when in a lounge, especially if it is likely to be better than the offerings on-board. In pre-lounge access times, I would often just wait it out until boarding time.

I have no problem paying for quality food, and dining out beyond our budget is one of our family indulgences. But airports rarely offer decent, good value choices.

For a while, GF offerings were superior to pretty much every on-board (BA) catering. I don't think that is any longer the case.
As a teetotaler, what I find galling is that the food offerings lag significantly behind booze in terms of quality, even though (I presume) the cost-base for increasing the food quality significantly would be a fraction compared with the price of JW blue -- which many on this board only seem to drink when it's offered for free.

tb
Bolding mine.
I agree with you. I used to joke with the bosses at the company conferences and dinners that if they gave me cash for all the booze I did not drink, I would be rich.^

Originally Posted by patvan
Only bowls at the GF buffet tonight! No worries, just order anything from the menu. It comes on a large plate. Take a bowl from the buffet and shift the contents of the ordered menu into the bowl. You are left with a large plate which you can use to go to the buffet. I didn't do this since everything on the buffet looked un-edible but this is just a proposal for the many GF pax who like the free buffet but don't like the bowls! Bon appetit and try to stay healthy!
Perhaps the "bowls only " idea is born of a notion that it saves money on foods and labour ...BTW is it legal to take a used plate to the bufet ? In the US buffets, one must take a fresh plate everytime.