FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Addo Elephant NP worth a detour?
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:27 pm
CBear

When it comes to the Garden Route, I usually suggest some must reads. At the top of the list is Fiela's Child by Dalene Mathee. It's historical fiction and makes you look at the area in a different light. There's also Circles in the Forest and Mulberry Bush by the same author.

On the topic of passes (Went to school in George and lived in the Great Brak/Hartenbos area), the Outeniqua pass is always a beautiful experience. That and Meiringspoort. My mom (grew up in George) would always tell me what it was like driving through Meiringspoort in the 50s and 60s. I was a kid in the 90s so it was definitely improved by then, but now it's been improved even more with wonderful picnic sites and scenic view points.

Do get off the beaten path and don't just whizz by on the N2 on your way to Cape Town. The stretch between Glentana to Mosselbay has some fantastic beaches. It's been a while since I was there, but I remember standing on a cliff in Glentana and you could see uninterrupted beach stretch all the way to Mosselbay. It's also a major vacation hotspot, so depending on when you go, it might be empty or it might be packed.

I love the Garden Route but I can easily see how it can be categorized as boring if you just stick to the N2 without taking any detours.

But like I said, I'm biased. Living in Hartenbos and all. Now there's another interesting little "town" in the summer!