FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HAL are enhancing T5
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:31 am
RedcardPingle

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Slightly confusing quote there. There are two sets of escalators by South Security going down, one which everyone uses just outwith Harrods, and one that seems to be for my exclusive use inside the Harrods store. Regrettably for me (but no one else seems to have noticed its existence) the Harrods escalator was boarded up months ago. But the main escalator is and will remain in service. So in short nothing changes there: if you don't have access to the Millionaires' Door, turn left after South Security towards Plane Food, and around the escalator to go down, then straight on to the South Lounges escalator.

My understanding is that the Harrods escalator is being removed, in order to facilitate the WDF store is being moved slightly towards the apron (eastwards), and the relatively narrow stores on the west side will be gaining space by creeping eastwards.

Now that's good news for people who want to walk along the main drag between North and South because at the moment there is a pinch point on the front entrance side to WDF: there isn't a lot of space between the lifts/escalor gubbins and store itself. That's the area were staff are standing with the perfume drench. So if that corridor shifts over there will be a clearer rat run for anyone not in consumer reverie dawdle mode, with the escalator more central to the corridor.
I certainly miss it. I was hoping the boading up was temporary while they build around it. Do you know if a replacement will go anywhere else? Its always a bit of a bottle neck at the other one - a minor irritation but an irritation none the less.