FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 90 Minute connection at LHR -- what happens if I miss my flight?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:38 am
Jimmie76
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I do have travel insurance because I don't like travelling without it, I'm UK based and don't have UK health insurance anymore. I've claimed on it too as I broke my wrist skiing in Canada and had medical bills that they covered of just under $500. They paid up with the minimum of fuss and I was reimbursed the full amount which was almost as much as the plane ticket there. Someone else in the party had a similar injury without travel insurance but with UK based corporate health insurance and they were stuck with the full amount for their treatment which cost more than mine. Had either of us needed evacuation from the mountain you can at least double those costs. Touch wood I've never needed the delay/cancellation part of the policy but I have it for the peace of mind it provides if not travelling on one PNR etc. which for some of my trips isn't possible.

In the UK you can get cover for a year for under £50 and covers multiple trips in those 12months. If US travel insurance is generally 6-7% of the cost of a trip then for a $600 trip it's $36-$42, up to you to decide if that's worth it. Personally I'd look at a multi-trip/annual policy if making more than one trip abroad or my legislators if prices are too high across the board, 6% seems steep to me. My insurance does come with my bank account and is free but the same annual policy is only about £48 to buy for someone else.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 27, 2014 at 6:43 am